Driving in Europe

Are You Planning a Driving Holiday or Trip to Europe?

All Central Self Drive vehicles can be taken to Europe but please remember to tell us you are going so we can arrange the documentation you require. You can even hire a 6 berth motorhome from us and explore Europe. See https://www.centralselfdrive.co.uk/blog/2014/06/motorhome-holidays/

Getting to Europe has never been so easy for British motorists, just book a train or a boat, make sure you have your passport, the correct insurance and break down cover and you and your vehicle can be in Europe in no time. However many of us do not research the driving rules of the country we are travelling to.

Depending on which countries you plan to visit or travel through, you will require some or all of the following motoring equipment to ensure you remain legal. Fuller details for specfic countries can be found at www.euroadlegal.co.uk

GB Plate

You are required be European law, to display your vehicles Country of Registration on the back of a vehicle. Many registration plates now display the ‘GB’ but if yours doesn’t you can buy GB stickers or magnets from most motoring stores.

Headlamp adaptors

Our vehicle’s headlamps are specifically designed for driving in the UK on the left hand side of the road. Consequently, when driving in Europe on the right, you will dazzle oncoming drivers, which is dangerous and illegal. When driving at any time, day or night – this must be prevented by adapting your headlamps. You can buy simple to use headlamp adaptors for your specific vehicle from most motoring stores.

Warning Triangle & Reflective Vests

In France and many other European countries the law requires all vehicles to carry a Warning Triangle and a Reflective Vest. It is strongly recommended in France to carry vests for all vehicle occupants, and is Law in Spain – where 2 Triangles are also required.

Spare Bulb Kit

European Law states that it is illegal to continue driving with a blown exterior bulb, so a spare bulb kit should be carried at all times to avoid the risk of ‘spot’ fines.

First Aid Kit & Fire Extinguisher

The European Good Samaritan legislation in many countries requires  drivers to stop and provide assistance in the event of an accident, so it is strongly advisable to carry these items.

New breathalyser law for driving in France

From 1st July 2012 it became law for drivers to carry a NF approved breathalyser kit in their vehicle while driving in France.

Remember Your Documents

You may be asked to produce your documents at any time and to avoid a heavy on the spot fine, you should have with you – valid full (not provisional) driving licence paper counterpart – if you have a photo card licence, an International Driving Permit (when necessary), vehicle registration document (V5c) – the original not a copy, motor insurance certificate, passport(s), your travel insurance documents. Borrowed, hired or leased – If you are taking a vehicle abroad that is company owned, hired or borrowed you will need a letter of authorisation from the registered keeper. In addition you will need to take either the original vehicle registration document (V5c) or a Vehicle on Hire certificate (VE103b). The VE103b is the only legal alternative to the vehicle registration document and can be obtained from your hire company.

There may also be other legal requirements which are not listed above. Please remember to check with the relevant traffic authority of the countries you are travelling through for updates and requirements.

WARNING: Radar Detectors

In France and an increasing number of other countries, it is illegal to be in possession of a radar detector, even if it is not fitted or being used and the French police can issue heavy on the spot fines and confiscate any equipment. This includes SatNavs with radar locations stored as Points of Interest. The advice is to remove  the radar detector from your vehicle before driving in mainland Europe and disable radar sites as POI if using a SatNav.




Share via